Greenville, MI asked in Collections for Michigan

Q: SOL in michigan for a car repo in 2002? Sued and judgement against me was declared in 2004

I co-signed for a car for a boyfriend in 2000. Repoed in 2002 and know there hasn't been a single pmt made since then. I did receive a letter every few years about collections but ignored it as I couldn't pay it. Last week I get a paper from law firm saying the 4k is now 9k and notice of garnishment for income taxes. I have great credit and want it to stay this way. Can they do this so many years later? Should I call creditor to negotiate? If I do nothing what will happen?Will it continue to accrue interest and will they garnish bank acct/checks etc.? What is the best way to resolve this? I am in Michigan.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: A 2004 Judgment may seem old, but creditors are permitted to "renew" a judgment. This is probably what happened in your case but you have to do some research and check the court record. Can they do this so many years later? Yes - probably. You need to get a copy of the "register of actions" from the court to be sure the court granted a renewal of this judgment. If you do nothing they will continue to collect. You can expect garnishment of taxes, income, and/or bank accounts. The best way to resolve this (after doing the research noted above to be sure collection is within the Statute of Limitations), is to negotiate a settlement in return for ceasing the garnishment. Be sure to get any agreement in writing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.