Leesville, LA asked in Adoption for Louisiana

Q: My ex husband pays child support but hasn’t contacted my 3 yo son for over a year. New Husband wants to adopt. Can he?

We split up when my son was 6 months old because my ex husband was physically abusive and the courts found him guilty. They gave me domiciliary custody of him and he has visitation that he’s exercised one time and he hasn’t contacted him since, over a year ago, soon to be two years. My current husband has been involved since my son was a year old and has been taking care of him with me since then. We want to file for him to adopt. We have a steady household, steady income. What are our chances of winning our case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Close the child suppoet case and your husband can adopt 6 months later.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.