Cookeville, TN asked in Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: I have had my 2 grandchildren in my care for 9 years. Both parents walked out on them. Can I get custody? Please help me

My 2 grandchildren have been in my care for 9 years. The parents have been in and out of jail for several years. The father has moved to Illinois and the mother is around but shows interest in only herself. I have always cared for these kids, provided for them, loved them, and been here for them. The father is now trying to get custody and take them from me. Can I get permanent custody of the kids, what do I need to do, PLEASE HELP ME, I don't want to lose my babies.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I recommend you consult with an experienced family law attorney near you. You may file a Petition for custody or something similar to get this issue in front of a Judge to decide. With the parents criminal history and your history caring for the children, the best interest of the child analysis in Tennessee may favor you securing custody instead of the Father. My firm's website has additional information about child custody litigation here:

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.