Aurora, CO asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Missouri

Q: My child support is $134 a month, I make over $4000 a month, I just bought a house in the same gated lake community...

...where my daughter lives with her mother, step father, and his children with my ex.

I would like to get a court order for visitation, but I’m afraid I will get hit hard for more child support. My daughter needs braces and I can definitely afford that, but again, my court ordered payments are so low I would be a fool to step into a courtroom to modify the support order. How do I rectify this matter without getting raked over the coals and hung out to dry?!

The only order by the courts is that I carry her on health insurance, and pay the measly $134 couch cushion change a month, I don’t have any other paternal rights at this time and she just turned 12.

I just want to know my kid and I’ve worked hard as a truck driver to position myself in this 3D game of chess.

What are my options here?

1 Lawyer Answer
Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It may depend on which is a greater interest to you - keeping your child support low or making sure you have visitation. Often greater visitation closer to joint custody can lower your child support compared to less time, but it also depends on the other parent's income along with any other support obligations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.