Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support and Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Mother in law won't stop unnecessary drama and borderline harassment.

I have a mother in law that either has a drug problem or some mental health issues or both. She always brings us up in drama that she has created and won't stop contacting us even though she's been told to stop until she can act right. This has been going on for years and can not act accordingly. It has gotten to the point where it has put stress on our marriage and psychological health. She also is very manipulative and holds stuff over our heads if she doesn't get her way like seeing my kid, or if our kid has other plans like a friend or another family member. What would be the best way to stop this after we have blocked them from social media and really don't want to hear from them if this behavior continues?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ross Matuszak
Ross Matuszak
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Thank you for your question. A way to keep your mother in law from contacting you is to file an order of protection. Orders of protection are civil orders granted in cases involving abuse, stalking (harassment is included in stalking for the purposes of an order of protection) or assault. From your description, it sounds like your mother in law may be exhibiting stalking behavior in the form of harassment.

If you feel that your mother in law's behavior has risen to that level, you can file an temporary order of protection with the court. Then, you would have a hearing to extend the order of protection for up to one year. If you have additional questions, or if you need to discuss specifics of your mother in law's behavior, it is always best to contact an attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.