Lawrenceville, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: I pay $600 per month for 2 kids. Should I still be paying the same amount if one child is now 23 and not in college?

My divorce papers state that I pay $500 per month for two kids. When my son graduated I was informed that I must still pay $500 because it didn't state $250 per child. Since I owe back child support, I pay $600 per month. The monthly support should have been reduced to $250 for the one child who is 15 plus the amount for back child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your child support doesn't necessarily go down because one child graduated. If you make more money than you did when the support was calculated, it's possible the support could even go up. $600 is not a lot to pay, so you might be better off just continuing as is. Or, you can file a modification and 6 months from now, maybe knock $100 off. The support doesn't get cut in half. In addition, the court could lower your current support, but raise the arrears amount so you'd be paying the same amount monthly. Bottom line: it's probably not worth it to try based on the low amount you are paying.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.