Bloomington, IN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: If I need to move because of a job, can I break my lease, move, and continue paying monthly based on term of my lease?

I may need to move to another state with X months left on the lease. Can I break the lease, move out, and continue paying rent to them monthly until 1. I've paid for X months to cover the lease term or 2. They find someone to rent it before X months is up?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Greenwood, IN

A: You will need to consult your lease and speak with your landlord. Typically, leases will spell out some provision that will allow a tenant to break the lease early, provided they pay for a certain number of additional months, or penalties, or both. Also, your landlord may be willing to allow you to move out early without repercussions as long as they can find a suitable replacement tenant within a certain period of time. Again, you would need to speak with your landlord and check the lease, because your options would be heavily dependent on those two factors.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.