Germantown, TN asked in Family Law and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: If admitted into a skilled nursing facility in Tennessee are you still responsible for childsupport

My brother retired from the Navy and has one minor child. He pays child support out of his military retirement check. He's been admitted into a skilled nursing facility. I was told that I needed to stop the child support out of his check because all of his money should be going to the facility. She also told me that they would bill my brother for that amount and the first time that he miss a payment he would be kicked out.

He was just admitted December 17,2020. I have filed for Conservatorship and was told that I would be responsible for the Child Support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker

A: I am sorry to here about your brother’s circumstances. The advice you received is partially inaccurate. You cant simply “stop” child support that was established by court order. If you are his conservator, you will need to obtain an order from the court terminating or modifying to $0.00. The circumstances you described suggest a good circumstance for the court granting either one, dependent upon how permanent his condition is.

If the original order was done through the IV-D program, the state child support agency can assist with getting the order modified or terminated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.