Saint Peters, MO asked in Child Support for Missouri

Q: My daughters father quit his job once we broke so he wouldn’t have to pay child support. If I file for support how will

an amount be determined if his income is zero now. He does not file his taxes. He has an offer letter for $50,000/yr but turned down the position so he didn’t have to pay child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
  • Sierra Vista , AZ
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If he has the ability to work he will be attributed at least full time minimum wage as his income. If he has a history of positions or a career he left that paid more and has no legitimate reason for his unemployment status the court may attribute a higher income to him. Other factors can impact child support owed but income is the largest factor.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.