Bronx, NY asked in Juvenile Law for New York

Q: Can my mother force me to move out with the rest of my family at 17 when i have a viable guardian at my previous home

To give context, my family is moving out to another state in a few weeks, except for my older brother. He is of age to be able to be my guardian since I am still a minor however my mother is forcing me to move out when i can stay here. It’s been a tough year and moving to a one family house that’s she planning to house two families is not right for me. She thinks I am involved with drugs and hang out with the wrong people and don’t pay attention to school when i have proved her wrong through my grades and actions. She accused me once of using marijuana and I took a drug test to prove her wrong. And I did. She assumes I can’t take care of myself when I have for the past 4-6 months and it’s ridiculous. She claims to have 100% control over my life where i sleep, when i get to go out, and throws random unnecessary comments at me. Verbally and emotionally abusing me. Shes trapping me and even said in a recent discussion that i can take this to court if i want

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You say your brother can be your guardian but you haven't said if he wants to. It would be hard for your mother to force you to move at 17. You should know that at 18 the courts won't get involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.