Pocatello, ID asked in Divorce for Idaho

Q: I live in Idaho, spouse is in our home in Oregon. Can I use an Idaho lawyer for a divorce?

I need a tough lawyer that won't enable him to take it all and leave me with nothing. My husband is a tough negotiator and will give you a run for your (my) money. :) We began our marriage 23+ years ago and had zero debt when we wed. I want every single cent I am entitled to. I put in just as much to our assets as he did and I will NOT be screwed like my mother was. We have multiple assets, stock, retirement, and debt that will have to be divided. He is a hoarder and major spender and I am worried he will try to liquidate assets without my knowledge. I have lost all trust in him and cannot believe anything he says. I relocated to Idaho and he is in our house in Oregon. Right now I have nothing and live with family. I am hopeful to gain employment this coming week. I need a good, strong, fighter who can help me resolve and end this marriage.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Personal jurisdiction for divorce and post divorce is unique in Idaho. Typically you would sue the defendant where he/she lives, but in Idaho it's reversed. As long as YOU can establish personal jurisdiction in Idaho, then it wouldn't make any difference where the real property is located. Why is ex-husband living in the home in OR? Do you have a Decree of Divorce? If so, please send it to me to review: kevinmrogerslaw1@outlook.cm

Thank you,


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.