Marshfield, MO asked in Family Law and Child Support for Missouri

Q: I've been paying child support every week, since child was born directly to the mother, can she get back child support?

I live in Missouri, I pay 100 a week directly into her mother's bank account... she requested I do this, and now she is saying she is going to go get state help (she makes way more money than I do) and that they will make me pay since day she was born... is that true? Or can I prove that she requested the support and ive been directly paying her weeking and have all proof.

She is only doing this out of spite... since she is mad at me at the moment

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
  • Sierra Vista , AZ
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You are correct. If you can donstrate that you have been making direct support payments, then you have a good argument for receiving credit for support paid. If you do not have proof and she is willing to perjure herself under oath, then the judge will make the determination.

Most states have a limit to how far back a person can request past care and support obligations. For example, in Arizona the custodial parent can go back three years from date of filing with court for child support. Other factors can affect that period of past care and support, you are advised to counsel for the various other circumstances that can affect this determination.

If the amount you have been paying is less or more than you would have otherwise owed, you can wind up with either a judgment or possible credit, respectively, for child support.

I would start gathering the documentation showing your direct support. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.