Omaha, NE asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: My grandson has lived with us for a year..Hes 11. His mother is unfit. What can I do to get legal custody of him?

His father pays child support none of which we see.She uses it as her income. His father has had nothing to do with him in years. My daughter has 3 other children but only 2 of them live with her. Can I get legal custody of him? Every time she gets mad she threatens to take him Away.My grandson does not want to live with her.. please help!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If a non-parent wants custody of child that has been living with them, the most common process to obtain custody is to file for a guardianship action to ask for custody of the child. You generally need to show that the parents are unfit in order for the Court to award you custody if a biological parent objects. The Court can order the parents to pay the legal guardian child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.