Ringgold, GA asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: can someone who has had their parental rights terminated, gain their rights back in the state of georgia?

Georgia? the mom was relatively young, her husband left, she dropped the ball. The child ended up with a really bad ear infection. The moms older sister petitioned the courts for custody of said child. Took the mom as well as the husband(whom was on the aunts side) and they had the mom sign her rights away basically telling her she had to. The husband also signed his away. Three yrs have passed and now the mom has matured and has herself together and wants her child back with her. She has remained in the childs life this whole time, seeing her on the weekends. Does she have a chance of getting her rights reinstated? She is engaged and has plans to marry a young man this coming September. He is in the military, they have great plans for the future. just throwing that in to let the situation show more, tho I know its irrelevant to my question. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Lawyer Answer
V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It depends. Were her rights terminated or did her sister just get custody? We are happy to schedule a consultation to discuss the situation further. The consultations last about an hour and cost $100. 770-723-7211.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.