Littleton, CO asked in Juvenile Law for Colorado

Q: I’m 4 months from 18. I have a job and a home I have my stuff at. My mother kicks me out all the time. Can I leave?

I’ve been physically and emotionally abused all my life. She’s hit me recently. My bestfriend of 5 year is offering me a home and her mother wants to help me. What can I do? I have money and I’m graduating hs early. Can I move out early?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cindy Perusse
Cindy Perusse
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The age of majority or when you are a legal adult in CO as other states is 18 years of age. Until that time, your parents are legally responsible for you. A child is required to stay in high school only until he or she is 17. After that the child does not need their parents' to quit. It's a good you are graduating high school early.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. The reality is since you are only 4 months away from being 18, there is very little to prevent you from leaving the home of your parents. You won't be arrested. You are not committing a crime by moving out. You should let your parents know where you are and that you are safe.

4 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.