New York, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: My husband filed an OTSC which I am responding to with a cross motion. I want to respond w a cross motion and.....

... a motion for contempt of (several court orders). In the first paragraph of my motion do I put "plaintiff will cross-move and seek an order to find the Defendant in contempt of Court before this Court " and then below the following relief to the plaintiff: 1. Seeking an order finding the defendant in contempt of court for his willful failure to pay. xxx in accordance with the decision on this court dated xxx.?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Alatsas
Theodore Alatsas
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should contact an attorney. Filing a contempt application has certain statutory requirements, and can only be done by order to show cause. you should check the court's website, alternatively, for an appropriate form. a cross-motion will not be effective and likely be denied on procedural grounds

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.