Lacey, WA asked in Real Estate Law for Nebraska

Q: If the executor of the will refuses to provide it and keeps all the estate proceeds, what can be done legally?

I am trying to help my parents. My uncle lived next door to my grandparents and when they passed, as the executor of the will/estate, he refused to show the will or give any of the proceeds of the estate to the other family members. My parents didn't pursue him legally (my mom was afraid of her brother), but now that he is dead, his children are trying to finish stealing the estate. What can be done and what steps can I take, i.e., where can I find a copy of the will, what kind of legal action can we take, etc? Any assistance that can be provided would be appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Polack
James Polack
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: There's not enough information here to provide an exact answer. What can be done depends on what assets would pass under the grandparent's Wills, how long ago they died, the values of the real estate and the personal property, and other factors as well.

The first thing your mother needs to do is actually meet in person with an attorney for a formal interview about the facts regarding the grandparents' estates to determine what, if anything, can be done now.f

Any other response in an online forum like this would probably just be speculation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.