Byron, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: My ticket was put in my sisters account but my name, and I missed 2 court dates, what do I do?

I was in a weather related car accident that resulted in injury and I was given a ticket that got put in my twins account, I went to court to explain the mixup and the judge initially told me he would throw it out but it was in her name so that had to be corrected first. I then missed the following court date because I got a concussion at work 2 days before. Since then my sister some how got the ticket off her name and now my license is suspended and I wasn’t given any notice or anything. Is there a way for me to explain this to a judge to get my license reinstated?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes, but you really should hire an attorney to assist you with this matter. Since you failed to appear in court as directed, a default judgment was entered against you. In order to remove this judgment, a Motion to Vacate will have to be filed and properly served on the prosecutor. The Motion will be given a date to be argued in front of the Judge and you will have to appear in court on that set date. Again, this is something you should hire an attorney to assist you with.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.