Deltona, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Question about stolen inheritance from soon to be ex husband

While married I received a large inheritance. My husband borrowed money to buy a new car (27k) ( for himself) with the promise to return it. I found out later he not only took that but about 15k to pay off his motorcycle and another 50k in cash. We are in the beginning stages of divorce and he said that since I let him have access to it - I was giving it to him and he doesn’t owe me a dime. All the property was put solely in his name. He left the kids and i penniless and without family homeless. Can I recoup any of this in court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the inheritance was separate, non-marital money, you may have a claim for dissipation which is when someone uses money in a marriage for non-marital purposes or for a wrong reason. You really need an attorney to help you figure out if you can get the funds back. If you can't afford an attorney, your local Legal Aid may be able to help you out.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.