Memphis, TN asked in Intellectual Property and Trademark for Tennessee

Q: How can I get T.R.A.P. Fitness LLC trademarked when there's already a live entry for a Trap Fitness for Pretty Girls?

My brother started T.R.A.P. Fitness LLC in Memphis, TN in 2019 for both male and female clients. Here is his website:

Trap Fitness for Pretty Girls was registered in 2020 (Serial Number 88312626) (Registration Number 5953349) in Lancaster, TX.

The entry did say that no claim is made to the exclusive right to use "Trap Fitness" apart from the mark as shown.

One lawyer recommended that we file under another name.

T.R.A.P. Fitness stands for Team Resistance Aerobics Plyometrics Fitness? Based on USPTO basic word search,

no one has filed under that name.

Would it pose a problem if we filed for a trademark under the longer name?

1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Charles Korray
Benjamin Charles Korray
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY

A: It depends. You may be able to file under either name (the short name or the long name) but you would need to perform a clearance search to see exactly how everything was filed and then make a determination based on that. With trademark clearances, we would look at names that are the same but also at names that may be considered confusingly similar. If you have any other questions feel free to email me at

Thank you!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.