Chicago, IL asked in Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Original date of court order met, child support extended without notice due to age 19 law. Child lived on own, NCS want

Me to pay back child support from time of 18 to 19. Child has been living on their own and has been paying mom even when living for the three months of 18 and never reported the move. I was grandfathered in to new law and never knew I was still responsible for child support. I've sent money to my daughter and help her while she is to pay her mother for any monies loaned or otherwise. I already paid what they wanted plus interest and my stimulus check was sent to Lincoln child support and was not even entered in the balance. Is there anything ?!? Lol. I pay $500 in Illinois a month. I do not make enough and been through courts and have done everything Im supposed to. I cannot afford a lawyer or more payments any longer. Thank you so much for your time. I am open to giving small donation if permitted. Your care is very appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: It isn't clear from your question if this is a Nebraska case. In Nebraska, child support is generally ordered until the child turns 19 years old. It is possible to file a motion to credit if you paid child support directly instead of paying through the Child Support Payment Center. It would be up to the court whether to grant such credit or not and the likelihood of the credit being granted depends on the facts of the case. It is also possible to file a motion to terminate child support if you want to ask the Court to terminate child support before the child emancipated.

If you already paid the child support plus interest, then there won't be a reason for further child support to be collected. Sometimes when one state is enforcing child support for another state, there can become discrepancies in the child support payment history reports. Sometimes asking the child support office to do a reconciliation to make sure what is showing as due and owing by the child support office in one state is the same as the child support office in the other state can fix any errors that are due to different child support offices handling the case.

You may want to start with contacting the child support office that is collecting child support from you to explain what is still due and owing and why.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.