Atlanta, GA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: How can I get custody of my 13 year old niece?

She has lived with me 4 years now because her parents were homeless. They moved to a different state and they took their 6 year old son but they left her here with me. She is very depressed and she asked for help with this so the doctor sent a referral for a therapist we went to the first appointment but they did say that I needed a paperwork stating that I have custody so she can receive treatment. I asked her parents of course they refused. They are receiving foodstamps for her and stimulus checks for her. They haven't provided any type of clothing, food, housing needs, personal items,absolutely nothing, they haven't offered me any money or help. I live on disability benefits and her mom can't even walk now she is in a wheelchair. Her mother can't even get to the bathroom by herself. Both parents are receiving unemployment benefits but neither one of them have had a job so I don't know how they are getting benefits at all. I need help please

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Onyema Anene Farrey
Onyema Anene Farrey
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If her parents are objecting to officially giving you custody of your niece, you should consider talking to them about getting temporary guardianship of your niece so that you can obtain the necessary medical and therapy treatments for her. They should be willing to agree to this since guardianship is temporary and can be terminated at any time. The process is quicker and easier than going through a long and drawn out custody battle.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.