Hopkins, MN asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: How to use marital lien to pay off child support arrears of close to same amount? Lawyer necessary?

Divorced (as Respondent) in April, 2000 after 1 year of marriage, 1 child, and 3 years of legal dissension re child support, visitation, and property division. The divorce decree states, “Respondent shall be awarded a marital lien on the parties homestead in the amount of $11,008.00 at an interest rate of 3% per year. The Petitioner shall be obligated to satisfy this lien upon the emancipation of the parties’ minor child, or upon Petitioner’s remarriage.” Our child emancipated in 2019. But I also have child support arrears and would like my entire marital lien to be used to pay off most (or all) of those arrears. Is this something commonly handled by individuals, or do I need to find a lawyer?

1 Lawyer Answer
William Bailey
William Bailey
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: It would be wise to at least set up a consultation with a family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.