White Lake, MI asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: My husband is on probation for domestic violence he got another domestic violence for attacking me again. What now

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Hilf
Daniel Hilf
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Troy, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your husband will likely face a new criminal prosecution, as well as a probation violation. The court will likely impose a no contact order to prevent him from having contact with you, if he is able to post bond. If he is unable to post bond, he will remain in custody throughout the court proceedings and possibly beyond.

Your husband will need legal representation to deal with both issues. For him, it is preferable that he has the same lawyer for both the new case and the probation violation to make sure the matters are being handled consistent with each other. In many cases with both a new charge and a probation violation based on a new charge, his lawyer will seek to deal with the probation violation after the new criminal charge is concluded. If he can afford a lawyer, he should hire a lawyer immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.