Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: Would I have to sell my home that my father had bought me during the marriage

I left the home cause of treats of violence against me. He is demanding $20,000 to leave my house. What can I do. He has also told my children he would burn house down. We do not have any children together

1 Lawyer Answer
Ross Matuszak
Ross Matuszak
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Thank you for your question. From what you said, it seems that you may be in danger. If you feel threatened or are actually threatened with physical violence, call the police immediately. It would also be a good idea to file an order of protection against your husband due to threats of violence and arson. Finally, consult an experienced family law attorney about a divorce and whether your home is considered a gift or marital property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.