Queens, NY asked in Child Support for New York

Q: I am the custodial parent. The non custodial parent has not paid child support in over a year. It is now last 5,000.

I am single parent on government assistance and in school. The non custodial parents has more than $5000 worth of support. I was told as long as I am on public assistance I will not receive child support. He has not worked at all and there is another child he has as well. I live in NYC how will this be solved? He post pictures of my child like he is doing something all year around when he is not.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you are on public assistance, any child support collected goes to the Department of Social Services. They can go after him to reimburse them for your public assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.