Overland Park, KS asked in Family Law for Kansas

Q: Can you block your children from seeing certain people in Johnson County, Kansas.

I was arrested for slapping my now 9 year old step daughter about 19 months ago. My wife was the one who reported it. I got help voluntarily and as mandated in my diversion agreement. I have had no contact with my step daughter in over 18 months. My wife and I were separated for 18 months and we have decided to stay together and work on our marriage with a marriage and family therapist. I am committed to doing whatever it takes on top of everything I am already doing to show my step-daughter's father I have improved my character and would never let anything like that happen again. Can he force my wife (via the court) to not allow me around my step-daughter? Or would they at least make it so that it is no unsupervised contact could occur (maybe with a time period)? I do not currently pose a threat but the father (rightfully so) is still concerned. I am trying to show him and the court (if it gets that far) that I no longer pose any threat since my arrest and rehabilitation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: A parent can seek to prohibit certain people from being around their child if contact is no in the best interest of the child. Since you were arrested for slapping that child, it would make sense that the parent would seek such a prohibition. If it gets taken to court, it would be best to compile evidence to show that you are no longer a threat and it would be best for you even to propose supervised contact with the child for a specified period to show that you are looking out for the best interest of the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.