Springville, UT asked in Contracts for Utah

Q: Can I repossess a puppy if contract has not been followed by buyer? If so how to go about it?

I sold a puppy Feb 2019. 2200 as co owned with trade work worth 700 and payments monthly. Contact says dog will be DNA tested and reg akc as well as paid off by a year.

Half cost on me and buyer for testing and registration which buyer couldn't do. Most months I asked about a payment buyer had excuses or just ignore me to avoid making a payment. Only 4 payments made in a year of having the dog. Nov 2020 we made a new agreement thru text. That weekly payments would be done until paid in full and dog will be fixed by March and we can go separate ways or I would take him back. Buyer agreed and said dog will be fixed last week of Feb 2021. Well 4 payments in 7 weeks and now buyer blocked me after letting me know dog will no longer be fixed but I can keep his breeding rights and claims she paid an extra $15.00 for him. Which I can prove she is wrong and still owes me money.

Can I repossess the dog? Do I need a court order? Which agreement do I go by one from feb/19 or Nov/20.?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Repossession must be handled peacefully. If they refuse to give you the dog, a court order can be obtained after winning a lawsuit based on the contract.

Everything depends on what was stated in the contract, so you will do well to have an attorney review everything before you proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.