Kenosha, WI asked in Probate for Wisconsin

Q: My question is we are dealing with the Medicaid estate recovery.

My mom just passed away and we most likely will not be going through probate as most of her assets are either pod or joint with one of her children and the balance left will be under $50,000. So, do we need to get info on the Medicaid estate recovery since my dad used some title 19 funds. How do we get the amount owed so we can pay?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If you use the Transfer by Affidavit, used for small estates with total probate assets less than $50,000 there is a requirement to send a copy to the DHS Estate Recovery Program by Certified Mail before you can transfer any assets under the Affidavit. Generally, the Estate Recovery Program will then send you a letter with the amount owed and any claim they have upon the estate. I would discuss carefully with your attorney whether you need to use this Affidavit to transfer any assets that were not already designed to pass outside the probate process. Here is general information about how the Estate Recovery program works

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.