Asked in Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Pennsylvania

Q: Can my ex use the fact my boyfriend and I had PFAs on eachother to not allow child around him?

We lived together for 4 years and her father hated that my bf was there when he wasn’t around. A few days before Christmas we got in a heated argument over money and expanding our family. Since my daughters father fails at paying support on time financially it was straining us to begin our lives. My bf told me to kill myself that I knew where the gun is and made verbal remarks and shoved me not super hard. I smacked him in the face and made verbal remarks. My daughter was with her dad. We got pfas they are dropped now but I got my own apt with my child. Now her dad is fighting for the judge to not allow her around my bf or his home when we don’t sleep at the house anymore and he never was a threat to my daughter or around her. Not was he ever physical with me besides just a slight shove. My boyfriend and I are in individual counseling as well as couples therapy too in hopes of making ourselves healthy again.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You really need to consult with an attorney and probably a therapist as well. It is difficult to understand why you would still be with someone who said those things to you. Whether the judge will determine that the boyfriend shouldn't be around your daughter, I can't know but I would think that you understand that neither of you should be around him. Please retain legal counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.