East Lansing, MI asked in Civil Litigation for Tennessee

Q: Can I file a small claims suit against someone in Tenn if I live in MI?

We have paid a clothing designer $6500 to make three articles of clothing. We have received the vest but the matching undershirt and another shirt we haven't received and she isn't responding to our calls, emails or texts. Last correspondence was on January 8th stating she had just gotten out of the hospital but had stated the clothes are done she just needs to ship them. Without the matching undershirt the vest is of no value.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes, you can file suit for Breach of Contract in General Sessions Court of the County of the Defendant's residence. Circuit and Chancery Courts are also available. But I recommend hiring a collection attorney after you get a Judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.