Bath, ME asked in Civil Litigation for Maine

Q: What do you do when the officer forgets to put a “date served” on your summons?

I received a summons from a deputy probly a week and a half ago now, he said I had 20 days to file paperwork to the court with my lawyer, but I still don’t have a lawyer and there is no “date served” on my summons, the spot is left blank. I’m a simpleton and get anxious not knowing what to do until I’m told what I should do! What should I do?!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Call the County Sheriff's Office and ask them on what date they served you. Alternatively, if there is an attorney representing the other side, her or his information will be on the summons. You can call her or him and ask them on what date the Sheriff's Office served you. Finally, the deputy was right, you have 20 days from the date you were served to file paperwork with the court. Do not let that date go by without taking appropriate action.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.