Omaha, NE asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Can DHHS revoke my custody based only on the filing of modification of custody alone before any judge signs or trial?

I was convicted of two misdemeanors and am currently a part of a voluntary, non court case with DHHS. They have implemented a family safety plan signed by all parties that my ex husband is not adhering to so I’m not seeing my kids. I was promised unsupervised visits by my DHHS caseworker but now due to a new caseworker being given my case I’m told that no modifications will be made to my family safety plan and that because my ex has filed for a modification of custody, that I am no longer the primary custodial parent of my children and our case hasn’t even been set with a date yet and has never been before a judge. How is it possible that DHHS can remove my custodial rights as a parent without a signed order by the courts and then allow my ex to refuse my visits after he signed a family safety plan that I was told was legally binding. Is my only option to withdraw from voluntary compliance and force them to adjudicate me? We are native, is it possible to move this to tribal court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You may have rights under the Indian Child Welfare Act. If the safety plan through CPS isn't working or isn't being enforced, then you likely need to pursue a custody action and request a hearing date before the judge. You should retain counsel to assist you or will be at a strong disadvantage if the other parent has an attorney and you do not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.