Salt Lake City, UT asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Utah

Q: Can you be held in county jail on federal hold with no charges?

My sister is being held at Salt Lake County Jail and has two holds one is a US Marshals federal hold and the other an immigration hold. She has only had one court date even thought she has been incarcerated since August. She has had a lawyer come see her twice in 6 months whom claims is a private attorney but she nor her family hired him. Her lawyer told her she cannot change lawyers because he was appointed by the judge. The lawyer also told her she will remain detained until she "speaks" and so far there are no charges filed. Is this legal? She is asking to be deported and the mexican consulate got involved but the feds responded that they had too much evidence on her yet they have not charged her or taken her to court. What is going on?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: It sounds like your sister may be dealing with a federal case. Federal cases tend to move slowly; it would not be unusual for a person to have initially appeared before the court in August and to not have had another hearing. By calling an attorney with access to the federal and state systems, you can determine if there is a case and if there is an attorney assigned to the case. Federal cases tend to carry much higher penalties and also tend to have have much stronger evidence against a defendant than state cases. Anyone federally indicted needs an attorney, needs an attorney they trust, and needs listen to that attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.