Amherst, OH asked in Child Support and Family Law for Indiana

Q: Child support was never taken out of my pay. My ex will confirm it has been paid. How do I prove that to the court?

My children are now both over 19 years old. Per Indiana law they are emancipated from child support. It was never set up to take child support out of my paycheck / wages. However I made all payments and my ex-wife will confirm that I have. What document(s) do I need to provide for the court as proof?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: How did you pay her? If you paid with anything other than cash (e.g. checks, money orders, electronic payments) then the best thing to do is simply produce that documentation (cleared checks, money order receipts, etc.). If you paid by cash, then any receipts you received from the mother will help. If you paid by cash and have no receipts, that will be tough. You might be able to show that the money was regularly taken out of your bank account, or you can have the mother testify to the amounts received, but that may have less weight with the court. You should consider speaking with a family law attorney to discuss your case in more detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.