Grovetown, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Health Care Law for Georgia

Q: How can I get custody of my 13 year old her parents abandoned her. She needs mental health help

My niece is 13 years old she has been living with me 4 years now. Her parents moved out of state without her. She wants to see a therapist because she is depressed. They won't give me a paper stating that I can get her medical attention. I can take her to all other doctors appointments except the therapist wants a paper saying I have custody or guardianship to get mental health. What can I do? I called the probate court and they said I would need $120 to file paperwork ok then they said I would need her parents signature but that's not going to happen. I don't have anyway to contact them. They know she wants help but refuses to get her help through me. They also have abandoned her they haven't helped me take care of her. They receive foodstamps for her but she receives medical health benefits through me through DFCS. I need to know what I can do

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Contact an attorney about filing for emergency custody or a depravation case in juvenile court.

Samantha A Holloway agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.