Miami, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: I'm contemplating divorce from my husband after 19 years. We have a single property and common debts. what to do?

He handles all the financial aspects of the home and has all the information. our only child is 19th so custody is not an issue, however, he does resided with us. what are the considerations I must have before entering the process.

Thank you.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your best course is to find a local family lawyer who will give you an inexpensive or free consultation. In the course of the divorce both parties are required to disclose all of the financial issues. You are not unique in having limited knowledge of the family finances. Your child will not be a part of the divorce, regardless of where they live.

Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A divorce with no minor children involves spousal support and division of everything you all own and everything you all owe. Depending on the financial circumstances between you and your husband, if you need his help after the divorce and he can afford it, he'll be paying you support or alimony for some period of time.

Additionally, everything you own and owe will be piled together including your home, your mortgage, any retirement accounts, savings, your cars, and your credit cards. Then the pile will be divided until you each walk away with approximately the same amount of value. For example, if your house and all your stuff is worth $200,000 and you owe a mortgage and credit cards of $100,000, you will each walk away with approximately $50,000.

A good attorney can help you through this process.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.