Belton, MO asked in Child Support and Family Law for Kansas

Q: My now 20 year old has moved in and out the last few years and I am still getting child support

She broke her pelvis at 17, it made school hard to finish and she did homebound school. Until I woke up one day and she left. She has been back and forth. I have 2 other kids on the order, and I had read it wouldn't change the amount and we even went through modification and he did not object that or that child support amount change. She currently lives with her boyfriends grandparents. He quit his job and hasn't paid in 3 months (arrears 2690) , and has filed a paper to terminate child support on all 3 kids. I objected. Will I be in trouble for getting child support when she was in and out/gone? I told him to request a modification, and he thinks this will solve things. He has a newer job and they were sent income withholding and then he requested a hearing. Does that hold that up? What should I do? Also does not see the other two in probably 7 months. Possibly 3/4 overnights with them at his sisters house, though I am the one that takes them to her and he just shows up.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: You likely won't get in trouble for the time that she was gone if the non-custodial parent was making voluntary payments. I would need to know the ages of the other two children to determine whether father's attempt to terminate support is valid. I would recommend getting an attorney to assist on your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.