Kennebunk, ME asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maine

Q: Can an at-will tenant who payed rent in full sue for constructive eviction if heat was lost and not fixed for a month?

In February 2020 I became an at-will tenant after an amicable year lease expired before I was able to find a new place. Despite my roommate moving without communicating with me: I covered the $1575 rent by myself and confirmed via text I would have another month. Heating system failed the first of February and I have documented proof it was not fixed for 24 days despite more than adequate communication. Expenses from hotels and becoming terribly ill from poor living conditions, high electricity bill (I was using space heaters and the oven around the clock) accrued. My landlord also entered without 24 hour notice to “inspect” the property after there had already been a property manager present 2 times that month to “check” the heat. He did not return my security deposit for 3 months, and the whole situation ended up with me having to get rid of almost all of my belongings to stay with a relative. If I want to sue for $4,000, do I have to produce proof of every expense accrued?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Question: If I want to sue for $4,000, do I have to produce proof of every expense accrued?

Answer: Yes.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.