Saint Louis, MO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: I have a question regarding a landlord witholding the security deposit


I left early, but paid for all of January, notified them at the beginning of January. They listed the property and said that if it was filled before the lease was up, I would get the deposit. They filled it and the new tennant is moving in Feb. 1. Thehy are now saying that they are keeping the deposit, without any damages (we were pesent during the walkthrough) and nothing is stated in the lease about the tennant breaking the lease early.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You didn’t ask a question. If you believe your landlord violated the security deposit statute you may sue in small claims court. Before doing so, make sure your lease doesn’t obligate you to pay your landlord’s attorney’s fees if you lose.

Here is the statute.

I hope this answer helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.