Saint Louis, MO asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Missouri

Q: how do i file for full custody and terminate his rights in missouri?

My childs father and i have been separated since 2013 he paid child support for a year or so then left the state and has not helped or seen her in the past 6 months. I august she called him for her birthday. hasn't heard from him since.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The best way to modify custody would be to hire an attorney to help. Family law cases are not generally self help projects. I should note that while the court may be willing to give you sole legal and sole physical custody it will not absent serious abuse or neglect give terminate his parental rights.

Termination of parental rights is not the same as not granting parenting time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.