Morristown, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: My parents called the police on my boyfriend and he is now charged with domestic assault

He accidentally kicked me when going out the window to leave and get away from me. Is there anyway for me to drop this charge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cynthia A. Sherwood
Cynthia A. Sherwood pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: In Tennessee, there is no way for you to drop the charge because it is the State of Tennessee that has brought the criminal charge against your boyfriend, not you. That being said, there are many things you can do to try to get the State to dismiss the charge against your boyfriend. You can explain to the DA or victim witness coordinator that it was an accident. Although you do not need a lawyer if you are not concerned about criminal charges against yourself, sometimes victim/witnesses do hire attorneys to help their voices be heard in the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.