Asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: How to get gun rights back on first offenders and conditional discharge?

In one county final charge was theft by taking(felony) was sentenced to 3 years probation on first offenders.

Different county final charge was possession of morphine(felony) was sentenced to 3 years probation ran concurrent to the first under conditional discharge.

Once all is said and done will I automatically get civil right and gun ownership right back, or will I have to go to court? Will the first offenders case be restricted or sealed? Is conditional discharge the same or will I have to jump through hoops when my probation is over? Edit* I don’t know why this is posting to Alabama lawyers, if you know though your answers are appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy S. Reeves Jr.
Tracy S. Reeves Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Presuming that you successfully complete your sentences you will not have an adjudication of guilty on any felony cases and your record should be restricted. Once everything is completed, you can run a criminal history at any police precinct to see if the arrests have been taken off your record. If they have not, you can file a motion for expungement of the charges due to successful completion of First Offender and Conditional Discharge. If you need further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.