Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law, Gov & Administrative Law, Elder Law and Divorce for New York

Q: NYC dept of health denied request for birth certificate stating first name has one letter different than legal name.

What law requires a senior citizen to change the name on their birth certificate to match current name ?

Why is name on social security not considered legal name?

1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can file a petition to change your name with the court. It is a relatively simple form that you can download from the court website. As for divorced people, every NY divorce judgement includes an order allowing the person to change their name back to their previous name.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.