Knoxville, TN asked in Business Law and Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Should I file a police report to have charges pressed against my former business partners for fraud/theft?

In 2020, I joined a couple opening a business for a 25% share of the company. Since that decision I was working full time on the business putting in 80 hours a week average. My business partners told me their capital investment was through spending money on the business out of their personal accounts and for me to do the same. The last day of August they changed all the passwords to every business account and emailed me that I was no longer a part of the business and not allowed on site. Since then I had a civil lawyer try to reach a settlement. We had a contract but they've claimed the contract isn't valid and I was not an owner. As an owner I need to be bought out, but even if we follow their claim that I'm not, then I need my investment refunded and my labor and intellectual property compensated. They have refused to pay anything. I'm out thousands of dollars and months of labor. A witness came forward to me that this was planned. Is this a criminal matter that can be investigated?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank J. Steiner
Frank J. Steiner
  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes, but better to sue them for fraud and go for civil damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.