Levittown, PA asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Pennsylvania

Q: How do you sell a house after the person passed away? What would those named executors have to do to sell the property?

Woman passed away, leaving an UN-NOTARIZED will to her 3 sons - naming 2 of the 3 executors. There is a house to sell. What needs to be done to sell the house? Can the two executors sell it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The first step is to probate the will at the Register of Wills in the county where the decedent lived at the time of death. Once letters testamentary and short certificates are obtained, then the executors have the authority to sell the house.

Right now there are special procedures that vary depending on the county for getting a will probated. You should probably retain an estates attorney to help you with the estate administration. There are many steps involved in the probate process that non-attorneys may not be aware of, so it may make good sense to get estate counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.