Stoughton, MA asked in Small Claims for Oregon

Q: I send a woman in MO. $1,000 for a puppy that was never given to me

She took it to her vet and there was a problem with his knee which she hid from me.She was mad when I called her vet in MO. and found out .Bottom line she won’t give me my deposit back and won’t answer the phone . What can I do ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Assuming it is too late to stop payment or request a charge back on a debit or credit card payment, and negotiation doesn't resolve anything, your bottom line options are to sue her in court - and then try to collect. Normally, you could sue in either the location the transaction was made or in the defendant's home County (presumably Missouri in this case). You likely can sue in either small claims court or regular court, each having advantages and disadvantages. If not in Missouri, and you win, you would likely have to register your out-of-state Judgment in Missouri before being able to attempt collection there. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.