Chicago, IL asked in Domestic Violence for Illinois

Q: An ex girlfriend who I’ve never placed on the lease or given keys to put a domestic battery on me. How could this go?

She’s trying to say I was abusive to her through the months, no reports(besides this one) have been made, she has older pictures of old relationships she may say I have caused. But she isn’t a tenant, she’s been spending nights, and the Landlord has noted she cannot issue a 5-day notice to her because of said reason. I don’t have an aggressive or domestic history, how could this possibly turn out? What all do I need to if not prove my innocence, have it to where she can no longer legally come into this apartment building since this is MY residency and she’s next door at a neighbors.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You need to hire an attorney to assist you with this matter. Domestic Battery charges are very serious and could cause you issues for the rest of your life if you are convicted. The sooner you hire an attorney, the better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.