Snellville, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: Will court require you to pay back child support for a child you had no knowledge about?

My kids’ dad found out he had an 11yr old son 2 years ago. He was told that he was not the father at first. That someone else was and he even has the other guys name. February 2019 was when he found out the truth. He is now 13 and he’s been giving his mother money since then. He also gives her money for his sister (who is not his) to help out. Recently she asked for more money. We found out she does not have custody of them, her mother (the grandma) does. Her mom got mad at my kids father and said they can’t come over no more and that she will put him on back child support. Even though their mom is not on child support nor the sisters dad. My kids father and I have paid everything for both kids since we found out. Will the court really make him pay back support when he never new he was his father?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: He will not have to pay "back" child support but the mother can ask for expenses of child rearing until there is an Order in place for child support. We would be happy to assist in getting the case situated to minimize his exposure. More importantly, we need to get his child legitimized so he can have legal rights to his child. Call us so we can assist in getting this taken care of.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.