Memphis, TN asked in Estate Planning for Tennessee

Q: I would like to know how to save my uncle’s home, he passed away in November and he had no will.

He has 3 sons but they had a strained relationship and they don’t want the house because they don’t have jobs and are not interested in trying to keep it up. I was his legal representative and my mom had power of attorney of the property. I spoke with tax assessor in tutwiler Mississippi and she said that it was voided after he passed. We were taking care of the property for 5 years, we have the deed also, I just don’t want the house to be taken by the state because it’s paid for and that’s all he had.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The easiest solution would be to hire an attorney to first get the house titled in the names of your uncle’s intestate heirs (probably his three sons) and then, second, to draw up a deed from the three sons to whomever IS willing to take on the obligations associated with owning the house, which could be you, if you are willing and they agree.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.